Thursday, August 28, 2008

Packets of love .. sent from Above

I was born in a middle class family. Both my parents were government employees and being the youngest child of the family I grew up as a spoiled brat. I was sent to the best school in the locality though it burnt my dad's pocket to a great extent. But he was so keen that I get the best education available. Though late, most of my wishes were granted and I was brought up in the best possible way.

My childhood days were mostly spent with my mother and my elder sister. Dad, being an Army Officer, was posted in different regions of this vast country and he used to come home on a one month vacation, once every year. I dont know whether I enjoyed his presence during those visits except for the gifts that he used to bring (once he even gifted me a Nike sports shoe which I used to wear with pride because it was a rare thing in my locality). I was always worried about his yearly visits because I thought it as a threat to my freedom. It was during the early years of my teenage that he retired from service and came home permanently and I presumed it as the end of my independence.

Dad and mom tried to groom me as a responsible and independent individual. I was asked to travel alone to different places so that I will learn from my experiences, solve problems on my own and be successful with out much help. I adhered to their policies till I finished my schooling and left for higher studies.

During my fortnightly visits, I started acting like a guest in my own home. I started to shy away from responsibilities and my interaction with my parents started decreasing. The time at home was spent either watching TV or browsing the net. They complained but I turned a deaf ear to their cries. Later on when I got a job and shifted to cochin, the same scenario continued. I wished to be the way they wanted me to be but I always failed to live up to their expectations.

Now at 26, my mindset has completely undergone a transformation..... I sincerely want to live for them. I want to give them all the happiness in the world. I realize that with out them it would be very hard for me to exist. I am afraid to think about a time when they are no longer there and I am alone......

One day when I woke up, I saw my dad standing inside my room. He was opening my cupboard and keeping something inside. I got annoyed and my first instinct was to shout at him. But I cut short my temper and gently asked him what he was up to. He said that he has kept his insurance papers inside my cupboard and that I may never know when it may come handy. Without much explanation, he walked out of my room and the salty liquid blinded my vision..........

I wish I could start my life all over again..... just to love them to the fullest and to make them happy just the way they fulfilled my life..........!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21 comments:

Vinod Pillai said...

World is a stage and life is a drama..... full of emotions.....ups and downs. The actors will change, roles will change but life must go on...... Parents love their children like a gardener grooming a plant , he may not get the flowers but does his duty. You will also have a similiar role towards your children (You need to marry first though :) but you may not get anything in return...
That's Life for You Dear .....

Praveen Gopinath said...

u must have seen "home alone" series recently, i guess, and that must have made u think of being with family and how important it is.. :-) :-)

euphonical said...

thanks praveen and vinu chettan for the comments...........

Cecil said...

Looks like U have a lot that is hidden deep. A confused kid with a lot of unrealistic thoughts.........not all but most of them. This is all about life. It will continue day in and day out.

Cecil said...

Whatever said and done I c that others also want 2 C U married. This is something that is 2 B looked into immediately....maybe things change

euphonical said...

Cecil....... how come you connected this to marriage????? :-)

Anand aka AVen said...

:)

Anand aka AVen said...

well, even i have a story, very similar to this, to share. wat i feel is that u may acheive many things in life - money, job, reputation, etc; but very few become "a better son". they surely do realize the situation, but then it may be too late... :(

i seriously do feel that u have realized this at the right time. dont worry i know ur heart, its not late for you to be a better son.

also a sincere thanks, this touched me a lot... :)

euphonical said...

why juz a smiley bro????

euphonical said...

absolutely true brother...........

Rekha said...

A comment frm a small gal(nothg but a far vision 2 life...)In everybodys life dhr is smethg 2 make us 2 think n active wisely...but the time 2 recognise it
is different.well,,,u came across earlier n hop dat u can do the thngs in a btr way in ur future.

Shaheer said...

I know the strength of ur words my dear friend..

In our college days once I was waiting for someone for an hour(nt mentioning the name :)).... But she went without looking at me, I was fully sad at that time. That day was just a day before our exam so we are having some paper and pen in our hand. I saw u writing some thing in a piece of paper. At that time I was not in a mood to c what u are writing, and remains sad. Then u passed that paper to me, that was a poem of 4 lines in which the starting letters(4) is that girls name, on that day i smiled.
To write that poem he took only 5 minutes...

But now by reading this I became sad...

Now u don't know the girl about whom u have to write to make me happy, right???? :)

I know if u decided u will do it ... Its the right time............ By reading this i also took a decision to change......

Kris said...

I think most of us would have similar stories to tell of our teenage. Its friends that count more when we are young and we tend to ignore parents. The main reason being that they will always stop us from doing what we like the most and friends encourage. With life we learn and understand the importance of having a parent and some realise the pain of loosing one. Its all part of the game called life.......

We stop over for sometime and then start living again....

euphonical said...

thanks for the comment rekha.........

shaheer...... i remember the lines i wrote for u.... ;-)

kris....... you are right bro....

$@umy@ said...

Everyone goes thru the similar situation one way or the other.....and its never too late ....

Its always hard to become a PERFECT child, but you can always try to PERFECT your relationship with ur Parents ..........

Ajay said...

Alright , it took me sometime before I realized i was actually reading your blog, the narration in some is compelling and simple enough.The bishop Moore education has actually done harm in your flair I guess coz sometimes i see those essays reflecting in your articles ...only occasionally.But please stick to prose ,verse is no good for you pal.I might even tell you have future in prose...keep blogging and keep writing ,you will improve..i am a fan already


I believe this has been the best,mind you not because of the content but the narration was lucid and you drove the message home..keep working on this style ,sharpen ,you have flair.

Biju Mathews said...

It's life mate..!!

Reji said...

അഴകിന്റെ തൂവെള്ളീ കിണ്ണമെല്ലാം
അഴലുനിറഞവയായിരുന്നു..
സ്ഫടികാഭമാകുമരുവിതന്
അടിയെല്ലാം പങ്കിലമായിരുന്നു..

Anish said...

Marvelous buddy!!!!!

Elsa said...

I have read this before.it's one that touched my heart.Every one has their experiences.Mine is so different .i am the naughtiest of the family,fighting with mom ,dad almost everydaylike a small kid till now.its been our families favorite time pass.its the biggest fun we have.some times others take that as serious fights which makes us laugh.everyday i thank God for giving me such parents.But today when i read this again tears filled my eyes.It may be b'coz its my time to leave the family soon and start mine.Thank you for making me realise the love of my parents.sometimes i take them for granted.

euphonical said...

Thanks for the comment dear..... the author of this article was a spoiled brat himself and its really an honour if "packets of love" made people think and realize the importance of the greatest form of love available on this earth...........